Basketball is a fast moving sport, where the outcome of a match can change in a matter of minutes. In addition, betting on basketball games is characterised by:
- A multitude of equally likely events. Draws in quarters, halves or entire games are rare. Some bookmakers do not offer any draw bets at all.
- The regularity of the games. During the main part of the championship teams play 2 – 3 times a week. This allows you to gather enough information to analyze the current form of the basketball club and the player in question.
- Low margins on top championships. Bookmakers offer the highest odds for the NBA, Euroleague. This is due to the widespread demand for these championships and the great competition from betting operators. The odds for the national championships are lower and the matches are poorer.
General Basketball Betting
Betting on the outcome is one of the most common bets in hockey, tennis, martial arts and any other sport. In basketball, the bettor needs to predict who will win the game, quarter, half.
Also in the bookmaker’s line you can make the following types of basketball bets:
- Total. This is a bet on the performance of the game on points. Both total and individual totals can be distinguished. There are bets on the result of a quarter, half or the whole game.
- Handicap. A handicap is used to artificially level the teams’ chances of winning. It can be either positive or negative.
- Blocked shots. The blocking of an attacking basketball player is called a block shot. Bookmakers take bets on the number of successful blocked shots.
- Even/Odd. Gambling enthusiasts can bet on an even or odd final score of the whole match, a particular quarter or a particular half.
The basic types of basketball betting are described above. As an extra spread, bookmakers offer bets on three-pointers, rebounds, steals, who will be the first to score a certain number of points and so on.
How do I choose my basketball betting?
Losing and getting frustrated in betting is inevitable if you don’t analyse the potential outcome.
The current form of the team
Having studied the statistical indicators of the opponents, it is possible to imagine a possible scenario of the event on the floor. Particularly the following should be taken into account:
- Average performance by quarters and halves.
- Number of fouls.
- Efficiency of blocked shots, rebounds and steals.
- Penalty shooting efficiency.
- Face-off statistics.
Lineup and leaders
Quite often the game is structured around the leading basketball players. The leaders accumulate the most points, determine the free throw shooters and direct the individual players.
If a leading player for one team is injured or disqualified, odds on the other team to win or post a plus one makes sense.
If the result of the match will have no influence on the position in the standings, the leading players may be given some rest, the coach may put the reserves on the field and try out some experiments with the line-up or formation.
In this case a basketball bet on the underdog’s plus side would be preferable to a win for the favourite.
Home field factor
In basketball it is important to consider the location. In front of a packed house in your hometown nobody will be willing to concede. Furthermore, there are clubs that play well at home and can easily lose to the average or relegated away team.
It’s worth noting that it’s hard for any basketball team to play away games in Serbia and Turkey.
This factor is very special and can sometimes devalue hours of detailed analysis. At the same time, it can have a positive effect on your bankroll. It is possible to find out before the starting whistle about a lack of understanding between coach and team, or about an injury of a key centre, and use this information. However, the information is difficult to verify, and there is no guarantee that it is true.
Effective basketball betting strategies
As well as pre-match analysis and competent allocation of the game bank, plus bettors use a variety of strategies.
Underdog victory in the quarter
The outcome of a quarter has no bearing on the final result. Often the favoured team will make up a decent margin on the difference in points and let the game slip away slightly, allowing the underdog to win the quarter.
The following factors need to be in place to play the strategy:
- An odds of at least 1.3 for a strong club to win.
- In the pre-match betting line, only the outcome of the first quarter can be bet on.
Roping total by quarters
The essence of the strategy lies in a careful analysis of the potential performance of the quarter. For instance, a player may guess that the teams will shoot a 32.5 total and then wager on the outcome. If the score is 33 or more, basketball betting is a done deal and you can move on to the next event.
If the total turns out to be less, the bettor re-makes a deal with the same outcome. In this case, the player increases the bet amount so that when he wins, the previous minus was covered, and the game bank slightly increased.
This strategy is considered risky: in a long series of failures bankroll may not be enough. In addition, bookmakers may limit the maximum betting amount.
Advantages and disadvantages of basketball betting
The advantages of betting on basketball games include:
- Regular games.
- High limits and in-depth coverage of NBA games.
If we talk about the disadvantages of such bets, most betting companies offer a meagre line on European championships.