The following features should be considered when placing a bet on hockey:
- Lots of pucks. On average, even in the lowest scoring leagues 4 pucks or more are scored per match. Scores like 0:0 or 1:1 are rare in hockey matches.
- Frequent games. Hockey games are played virtually every other day during the regular season.
- There is a lot of fighting. Hockey is considered to be a power sport, characterised by frequent infringements caused by foul play.
The most popular types of betting on hockey games are betting on the outcome, plus or minus handicap wins and goal totals. There are also other types of bets, such as period efficiency, penalties and so on.
Analysis of hockey games
Without pre-match analysis there is nothing to do in betting. Specifically, the following factors must be considered before placing a bet on hockey:
- Form of the team. It is mandatory to look at the results of recent matches to assess the current strength of the opponents, mark the successful or unsuccessful series.
- Goalkeeper performance. It is not uncommon for bets on the total in hockey to fail thanks to the phenomenal play of the goalkeeper when the defense is bad.
- Schedule pressure. Because of the frequent games and long-distance flights, it is difficult for hockey players to show their best game throughout the season.
- The lineup. With so many disqualified and injured players the coaches have to add new players to the line-up.
- Motivation. At the end of the season it’s not uncommon for one team to lose their chance of making the playoffs and sit comfortably in the leaderboard, while the other team needs the points.
- The crucial nature of the game. In derby situations, emotions run high for the players of each team. Anything can happen in such matches. For this reason, experienced bettors prefer not to bet on Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings vs Chicago Blackhawks, New York Islanders vs New York Rangers or other hotly contested games in the NHL.
The pre-match analysis for hockey games is similar to the analysis for basketball games. In these sports disciplines overtimes are allowed, matches are played several times a week and playing at home is a significant advantage.
Effective hockey betting strategies
Betting will not only bring you excitement. But only with a careful analysis of the upcoming event, the ability to manage the game bank and use a working strategy.
Often the first period ends in a “dry” draw or with a minimum score on the scoreboard. Teams proceed with caution, not forcing the issue, getting to know their opponents and testing their weaknesses.
The third period is characterized by high scoring. Due to limited time hockey players take more shots on goal, coaches of losing teams replace the goalkeeper with a field player.
TB 1.5 in the second period
A bet on total score higher than 1.5 puck in the second period will most probably come true if
TM 2 in the first period.
- The number of shots of the first period in the goal line is more than 19.
- The squad is optimal, with the top forwards in action.
- In the previous head-to-head encounter the opponent scored a second-period ТB 1.5.
- This strategy is used for betting on National Hockey League games.
TB in third period
In the last period there is a high probability that another goal will be scored, if the following factors are present:
- The score difference is 1 puck.
- The number of pucks expected by betting analysts has not been scored.
- The teams are not drying the game, the number of shots on goal and dangerous actions is increasing.
Catching up on the draw
It may seem that draws in hockey are quite rare. However that is not entirely true – around 20% of matches end with the same score on the scoreboard. Below are the stats for draws in five NHL seasons:
36% – 2015/2016.
54% – 2016/2017.
29% – 2017/2018.
32% – 2018/2019.
92% – 2019/2020.
That said, the average odds for a draw are in the 3.5 – 4.0 range. If you flirt with such outcomes with the long-on, you can increase your bankroll quite nicely. However, you should keep in mind that such an approach is high-risk and not suitable for beginners.
Advantages of betting on hockey
The pluses of betting on hockey duels should include:
- A wide spread. For NHL and KHL matches bookmakers offer many different marquees: combined bets, betting on penalties, power play goals, penalty time, throw-ins.
- Spectacular and frequent power play. Hockey is characterised by sensations, when the course of the game is reversed a few minutes or even a couple of moments before the final siren. For beginners, this is rather a disadvantage, but experienced bettors are able to exploit this and place bets at high odds.
- Regular matches. Teams play 2 or 3 games during the week. This allows you to monitor the clubs current form, and analyze the psychological and physical condition of the players.
Disadvantages of betting on hockey
Some of the disadvantages of betting on hockey matches are:
- The small number of broadcasts. For the most part, only KHL and NHL matches can be viewed on the bookmaker’s website. When placing a bet on less popular championships you have to look for live broadcasts on your own, which may be delayed. This has a negative effect on in-play betting.
- High margins. Bookmakers offer high odds on the main outcomes of top matches. For the Swedish, Norwegian championships the margins are significantly higher than those of the CHL, and the quotations are lower.
Also some bookmakers set low betting limits on hockey matches.